America's Nightmare-Young, Black, and Educated

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."-General George S. Patton, Jr.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Tops of 2006!!!

While sitting in the airport last night for about 5 hours due to a delayed flight I wrote down some things I thought were tops in 2006. Here's my thoughts.

Top 10 Songs of 2006
  1. "Love"-Keyshia Cole
  2. "It's Goin Down"-Yung Joc
  3. "Fresh Azimiz"-Bow Wow
  4. "What You Know"-TI
  5. "Money Maker"-Ludacris featuring Pharell
  6. "Buttons"-Pussycat Dolls featuring Snoop Dogg
  7. "Give It Up To Me"-Sean Paul featuring Keyshia Cole
  8. "I Think They Like Me"-Dem Franchise Boys
  9. "Walk It Out"-DJ Unk
  10. "Irreplaceable"-Beyonce

Now some of you will agree or disagree with my choices, but that's not important because tis' my blog and my tops of 06! I am surprised that I put Beyonce on the list because I don't really like her like that. I have to give it to her. Everyone I know likes that song. There are a couple of songs that I think are close to being the top songs in 06 but time to move on to the next list.

Top 10 News Events in 2006

  1. Star Jones-Reynolds is Fired from The View-I started watching The View in late 2005. I was a big fan of Star Jones. Even though she came off as bougie and stuck up I really did enjoy her commentary on the show. She represented Blacks well. She was always articulate with her points. Late June the annoucement came that Star was leaving. I was floored. I couldn't believe that she was actually leaving the show. Of course those who aren't living under a rock know that a lot of mess came out of her firing. Barbara Walters and Company were wrong for getting rid of her, but of course the show went on...
  2. Rosie O'Donell vs. Everybody-Rosie came to The View in September of 2006 and the controversary began. Rosie has come out firing during the infamous Hot Topics segment on The View. She has battle Kirstie Alley, Kelly Ripa, offended Asians, and most recently Donald Trump. I don't think Rosie will be on the View very long, but she definitely has added a spark to the show. I didn't think I would be watching it again, but I have to admit it's on my DVR.
  3. Democrats win big in 2006 midterm elections-Finally America woke up and sent Republicans packing. Democrats picked up 6 new seats in the Senate and now have a 30 seat majority in the House. It was definitley music to my ears. I rushed home on Election day to watch the coverage. I was nervous. I had been disappointed in previous elections and was hoping for some good news. Good news is indeed what I got.
  4. Use of the N-word- Michael Richards, Andy Dick, and that idiot on the Real World. You all have read my other posts about this. See those for more.
  5. New network-The CW-UPN and the WB closed shop and mergered to one network. It was sad because the number of African American shows were literally cut in half with the merger. A lot of people were disappointed with the cancellation of Half and Half. It was one of my favorite shows. I don't watch The CW much except for Monday Nights and Wednesdays.
  6. Grey's Anatomy becomes the hottest show on TV-After the Superbowl the world stuck by their tvs to watch a hot new show. I have watched Grey's since it started, but it seems everyone began to take notice after its post-Super Bowl airing. The episode after the Super Bowl was very intense and resulted with a bomb going off. It definitely introduced a lot of Americans to the hottest show on TV. A defintiely plus is the diversity in the cast. Why aren't other tv shows like this?
  7. Athletes doing stupid things.-Every week it seems like there are Bengals players in the news being arrested for DUIs and other crimes every day. Carmelo Anthony and the The Denver Nuggets brawl with the New York Knicks, TO spitting in another players face. Why are athletes continuing to do stupid things. I don't understand it. Athletes let's get it together in 2007.
  8. Iraq War: US Soldiers continue to be killed reaching over 3,000.-When is this war goign to stop? Hopefully 2007 begins the withdrawal of our troops.
  9. Saddam Hung-I didn't realize they still hung people but now the US succeeded in getting Saddam killed but we still haven't found Osama Bin Laden. Yeah I feel so much safer now that Saddam has been hung.
  10. Barrack Obama-Breakout Political Star-Every since his speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, Illinois Senator Barrack Obama has been a bright and shing star in the political world. In 2006 his star seemed to shine even brighter. He released another best selling book The Audacity of Hope and helped the Democrats win control of both chambers of Congress. He is now being considered one of the front runners for the 2008 Democratic Presidential candidate. I know one thing. If he runs, he has my support. I don't think I have ever seen a politician that is as real as he his. Obama 2008!!!

Top 5 events for me in 2006

  1. Graduation!!! I received my Master's Degree in Accounting. One of the proudest moments in my life. I am sure no one would have ever guessed this is where I would have ended up, but I am happy I am here.
  2. Return to the Church. I noticed I was lacking something in my life. I found that void in 2006 when I found a church home in Columbus. I am growing spiritually and hope to continue my growth through 2007.
  3. 1st Job. Well it wasn't was my first job, but it's my first one of my career. I am excited and just happy to be where I am. I am truly blessed to be working for this company. Even when I am putting in the long hours I still feel blessed.
  4. 1st Apartment. I moved into my first apartment on my own. I am still getting it together, but in time everything will be all together.
  5. Neophyte to Prophyte. My first year and a half in Kappa Alpha Psi has been very interested. I have met brothers from all over. I definitley enjoying being apart of this great bond. It's definitley the greatest bond.

Now to finish this long list off I am going to give my New Years Resolutions for 2007!!!

  1. Lose Weight.
  2. Get A Car
  3. Continue to Grow Spiritually
  4. Travel

Well Sorry for the long post, but I will be updating this week with a post about my trip to Maryland. Until then, I am America's Nightmare...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats