America's Nightmare-Young, Black, and Educated

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."-General George S. Patton, Jr.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

20/20...

Last night when I got home from church I decided to watch the last night's episode on 20/20 that I had DVR'd. It was about proverty here in America. It focused on three people. Those three people all lived in Camden, New Jersey. It was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. The story that touched me the most was the one of a little black kid named Ivan. He was 5 when they began the documentary. He was excited to soon be starting kindergarten, but his dream was for his family to have a place to live by the time he began school. This little boy brought me to tears. Hearing his story and actually seeing what he was going through just broke my heart. I began to think, you know there are a lot of children out there living like this. Ivan and his family, which consisted of his younger brother and mother, were struggling to make ends meet. His mother was on welfare and couldn't find a place for them to live. By the time Ivan began school they had found a place. It wasn't much and if I remember correctly it was only one room in a house with a community bathroom. The thing that amazed me the most was that I was sitting here watching poverty in America! Why is it in the land of the free and home of the brave there are people who have nothing. Children dream to just have a home to go to. What can be done to help them? This, of course, brought me back to the whole minimum wage factor. Why is it in America that we complain and have activist groups fighting to get fair wages for thosed working over seas but no one is saying anythign about the unfair wages of many Americas that are suffering making only minimum wage? Yes, I don't get it. I am sure on probably abc.com you can see this story and I encourage all of you to go and watch it. If you aren't moved by this then something is completely wrong with you. You will be touched by the story of Ivan. I encourage all of you to count your blessings. Many of us don't understand how well we have it.

I am America's Nightmare...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats