America's Nightmare-Young, Black, and Educated

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."-General George S. Patton, Jr.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

"Without Struggle, there is no progress"

This was the theme of the 10th Annual Slater/Johnson Memorial Scholarship Banquet of the Black Graduate and Professional Student Caucus at The Ohio State University. The banquet was very good. The banquet committee did a very good job. I really enjoyed myself. The keynote speaker was Aya Fubara Eneli. She was very amazing. Just to give you some background info on her. This is taken from the program...

"Aya Fubara Eneli was born in Columbus, Ohio and grew up in the West African country of Nigeria. As an eight year old, she was the keynote speaker ofr Nigeria's national celeration of the International year of the Child. She attended The Ohio State University where she earned four degrees in 7 years - 2 Bachelor of Arts degrees in Political Science and English; a Master's degree in African and African American Studies; and a Juris Doctorate."

Wow that's just a brief sample of her biography. I usually don't get into speakers when I go to events. They are usually long and boring. Let me say Aya Fubara Eneli was tremendous. She blew me away. She was very entertaining and had a great message. The theme of the banquet was "Without Struggle, There is No Progress". She noted that we as african americans are full of struggles. Each person has there own struggle. She even noted that we are very far from progressing. She read of some very terrifying statistics of African Americans. Did you know that even though African Americans make up barely over 12% of the population that we make up over 50% of new HIV/AIDS cases in the US! yes that very crazy. I believe another statistic that she quoted was that only 40% of African Americans that go to college actually graduate. In whites the rate is 61%! Yes just those two statistics alone are very scary. It also is a reminder that African Americans are still struggling. Even though some may think we have progressed, we still are struggling. The statistics that she read came from a book titled "The Covenant". I believe she said Tavis Smiley wrote it. I could be wrong. I plan on picking up this book to read more of these amazing statistics that they have about african americans. Everyone needs to take note that we as african americans are still struggling. We have a long ways to go.

I often times sit and reflect on my own life. I have come along way. I never imagined that I would be where I am today. I always knew I was going to go to college but I thought I would become a doctor. That's what I always dreamed of being. Never in a million years did I think I would end up becoming an accountant. If someone would have told me this I would have laughed in there face. I guess you can't always tell where you life will end up.

The keynote speaker also took time out to thank many people who were mentors to her. This made me think about my mentors, or should I say lack of mentors. I couldn't think of anyone that has actually been my mentor. Don't get me wrong, I have had many people that has had a positive effect on my life, but I can't think of anyone that has actually served as my mentor. It's kinda of sad. I wish I had someone that I could talk to about my career goals and get sound advice from. Maybe one day this will happen, who knows though.

I want to encourage everyone to give something back to their community. There are many african americans children in my neighborhoodl that are growing up in single parent homes and don't have a positive role model in their life. During my breaks from school I take time to go back to my former 1st grade teachers class (she teachs kindergarten now) and read to her students and play games with them. Just seeing how happy it makes the kids brings a smile to my face. Since Columbus will be my permanent residence for at least the next couple of years, I won't be able to do that anymore. Hopefully I can find somewhere in Columbus to go and help out at an elementary school. I really do think it is important to give children postive role models and show them examples of people making without have a musical or athletic career. (I have nothing against those that do make it that way!).

As you can probably tell coming from the banquet I had a lot going through my head. Anyways that's enough for now. I am America's Nightmare...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats