America's Nightmare-Young, Black, and Educated

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."-General George S. Patton, Jr.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Don't settle for less...

"Don't settle for less!" is what one of my football coaches in high school would always say to us. I can distinctly remember hearing him yell those words to us. It's kinda been my theme for my life. Many times in my life I have been doubted and questioned on why I do things. I haven't had anything given to me. I have worked very hard to get to where I am at in my life. I was raised in a single parent, very low income family. One of my many dreams was to go to college and get a degree so that I don't have to live or raise my family like I was brought up. I don't regret the childhood that I had. My mother worked her butt off to give us everything she could. I never really had an understanding to how poor we actually were, but now when I think back to how much money my mom was making its very apparent that we were definitely poor. I made the decision not to settle for less and try to achieve the best level that I could. With that said I am pretty much on my way to achieving something that means a lot to me. In less than four weeks I will be receiving my masters degree! It's kinda hard to believe but I am glad that I went on to do it. I have never settled for less and am very proud of myself!

Now on a lighter note...This week the major networks gave their presentations on their fall primetime tv schedules. As most of you know I have become addicted to tv. I was really nervous to see what was going to happen with two of my favorite shows that I watch every week. Girlfriends and Half and Half. In case you didn't know the UPN and WB network are merging together to form one network The CW. The CW took shows from each network to come up with their fall schedule. I was keeping my fingers crossed that Girlfriends and Half and Half would make it. Well sadly only Girlfriends made it on to the CW. And to make matters worse its being moved to Sunday nights at 8pm. Why is this a problem? Well another one of my favorite shows, The Amazing Race, will also be airing at this time. Yeah so I will be flipping back and forth between those two shows. Well to get back on topic what I am upset with is that with the new network CW many of shows on the UPN with predominantly black casts would be left out. UPN was the only network that had shows with predominantly black casts and i loved those shows. I wasn't an avid viewer of all them but it was great that at least one network had shows for my people. Well hopefully in the future these networks will get shows with predominantly black casts. I love our comedy sitcoms. Its nice to see people like you on tv. I doubt that this will happen but heres to hoping.

Well summer is almost here and I can't wait. Big Brother-All Stars will be on in July and anyone who knows me knows that I am addicted to this show. I am looked forward to watching this show. I am sure I will write about it over the summer.

Well I am America's Nightmare...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats