America's Nightmare-Young, Black, and Educated

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."-General George S. Patton, Jr.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Rosewood

So on Friday night I was able to finish watching Rosewood. I have to say this definitely ranks as one of my favorite movies. This movie definitely fueled many emotions inside of myself. It's amazing the things African-Americans had to go through. My eyes watered up as I watched the angry white men burn down the town and kill the black residents. To think this is such an important part of American History and I had never known about this happening to blacks. From our discussion after the movie, this happened to many black communities. This is stuff I had no idea happened. Surprisingly, the residents of Rosewood were able to get reparations from this tramatic experience they had to go through. I think I am going to look up some about these events that happened to other communities. I feel like this is an important part of American History that I have never been exposed to. The textbooks do a very good job at hiding all these kinds of experiences in the books. I definitely woud recommend this movie to everyone. Expecially my fellow black people. We need to start educating ourselves with these important events that happened in our familie's past. We need to go to our grandparents and their brothers and sisters and ask them about the things they experienced growing up. Your history should be very important to you. It's one thing that I am going to try and do. I wanna know about my family's history and all that they went through. The most I know about my mom's family is that they migrated to my hometown of Middletown, Ohio from Uniontown, Alabama when my grandmother was a little girl. I have never really asked why they all migrated North. I am assuming it was for the jobs. I plan on having a conversation with my grandma as soon as possible since she is my only living grandparent left.

Well I am America's Nightmare...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats